Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Riley's Smoochie....

Most of you all know that my mom was diagnosed with lung cancer about two months ago. After several months of shoulder and arm pain the Dr's found a Pancoast tumor on her right lung that had been pressing against her nerves causing all the pain. First of all, it's a good thing that it was pressing against the nerve because this type of tumor usually goes unnoticed until it's too late to treat.

My mom went through 5 weeks of radiation Monday-Friday and two stints of chemo the first Monday-Monday and the last Monday-Monday of the radiation treatment. The tumor shrunk from 4.5cm to 2.5cm! That result is more than what the Dr's were looking for! The location of the tumor is in the back, high on her right lung (basically inside and outside the lung behind a mass of nerves, veins and arteries making what they call a 'birds nest'). On Wednesday, December 3rd, her surgeon went through her right side and removed the tumor. Unfortunately the tumor had lodged itself up against the chest cavity and the surgeon was not able to remove all of the cancer without damaging the nerves to her arm. However, there was a neurosurgeon that feels they can go through another path and he can help navigate through the nerves and remove the rest of the cancer in her chest cavity. He will be joining my moms surgical staff tomorrow for her 2nd surgery to remove the rest of the cancer, HOPEFULLY.

The hospital seems to be doing well at managing her pain and she seems to be in good spirits, just quite tired! Like mother like daughter, yesterday my mom spent her 2nd wedding anniversary in the hospital (I was @ the same hospital for pancreatitis on my 2nd anniversary!). Chuck seems to be handling everything really well and is taking great care of my mom.

I will be taking tomorrow off work and will be able to provide updates for anyone wishing to have one. Feel free to call my cell or send a text message - 303-981-7004.

Hope all is well with you all, please wish best wishes for my mom!

2 comments:

Cindy said...

I am praying for your mom Kimmie! I just love her bunches! I'll be praying that ALL the cancer is removed - and no longer a threat to her life! She is top on my prayer list!

RichFam said...

Wow, girl. I didn't even know your mom was diagnosed with cancer! Wow. How scary. Jay and I will be keeping her in our prayers. Please keep us updated!!!